Managing your catalogue
An item in Open mSupply is usually a product that you purchase from a supplier, hold in stock and supply to a customer. From the Items menu, you can view all of the items that are currently visible in your store.
Viewing items list🔗
In the navigation panel, tap on
Items to show the items list:
You can see all the items which are available for use by your store:
Viewing an item's details🔗
To view the details of an item, simply tap on one. A new window opens:
On top of the screen, you can the following information:
- Stock on Hand: How much stock is currently available in your store
- AMC: Average Monthly Consumption. This is how much stock your store uses each month on average (based on a configurable number of months, defaults to 3 months).
- Months of Stock: Number of months of consumption left with current stock. This is calculated as:
Stock on Hand / AMC.
In the bottom part, item details are divided into several sections:
- Name: This is the name by which mSupply will refer to the item
- Code: This should be unique for each item and is a helpful shorthand for referring to items
- Unit: The unit you use for this item. It is useful to distinguish items you issue by pack (eg. eye drops) from items you issue by volume (eg. oral liquids)
- Strength: For a medicine, the concentration of its active ingredients (eg. for Amoxillin 250mg, the strength is 250mg)
- Defined Daily Dose: The assumed average maintenance dose per day for a medicine used for its main indication in adults
- Doses: For vaccines, the number of dose per vial
- Vaccine (check box): If this is checked, this item is a vaccine and a number of dose can be assigned
- ATC Category: ATC stands for Anatomical, Therapeutic, Chemical and is a method of classifying entities, and identifying them by category
- Universal Name: if the item is linked to the universal drug code database, this shows the universal, or generic name for the given item
- Universal Code: similarly, the code allocated to the universal drug code item
- Default pack size: This is the default pack size that will be assigned to incoming stock as it is received
- Outer pack size: The number of units in a carton (outer pack). Not the number of preferred pack size packs in a carton (outer pack).
- Volume per pack: The default volume per preferred pack size pack. This is the volume that will be used by default when receiving goods. We recommend you divide a carton volume by the number of preferred pack size packs in a carton to get this figure. Open mSupply always stores volumes in m3 (cubic metres), but you can enter a volume as millilitres (ml) or litres (l) by entering the appropriate abbreviation after the number representing the volume. e.g. enter “0.5l” to enter a volume of 0.5 litres (= 0.0005m3).
- Volume per outer pack: The default volume of an Outer pack size pack of this item
- Weight: The weight of a preferred pack size pack in kg
- Margin: This is the default margin that will be applied to this item on Inbound Shipments to calculate the selling price